Friday, November 5, 2010

A Night at the Cinema

So, as the boys were incredibly underwhelmed at my suggestion that we spend some quality roommate bonding time watching "Breakfast at Tiffany's", I've decided to put together a list of my all-time favorite "classics". In no particular order:

Breakfast at Tiffany's - it's cheesy, it's a little racist (Mickey Rooney as the Japanese neighbor?) and it is utter perfection. I watched it at least once a week for a year and can probably still quote it from memory.

Casablanca- Overlooking the fact that this movie is essentially not so subtle American propaganda, it's a great love story. What better pairing could there be than Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman (besides Lauren Bacall of course!)?

The Princess Bride- THE BEST FANTASY/LOVE STORY/CHICK FLICK EVER. Also, Andre the Giant plays...a giant.

Better Off Dead- one of the most quotable movies EVER. "I'm sorry your mom blew up, Ricky" can only be topped by "Two dollars!"

Pal Joey- Along with Breakfast at Tiffany's, I watched this movie over and over and over. Frank Sinatra, Rita Hayworth and Kim Novak are great. My favorite numbers? Frank singing The Lady is a Tramp and Rita singing Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered.

Cool Hand Luke- Paul Newman eats 50 eggs. This movie only slightly edges out Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid from the list, just slightly. Watch both.

A League of Their Own- Girls playing baseball? Of course I would love this movie. "There's no crying in baseball!" (Starring Geena Davis and Tom Hanks- I cry every time)

Ten Things I Hate You- Classic teenage chick flick. Shakespeare? Heath Ledger? What more do you need? Oh yeah, a catchy soundtrack!

The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex- Yes, this is in black and white and stars Bette Davis and she looks like one scary Queen. Fantastic.

Take Me Out to the Ballgame - My favorite musical of all time. Yes, even more than Singin' in the Rain or My Fair Lady. This stars Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, Betty Garrett and Esther Williams. The tunes are catchy and it centers around love and baseball. AH.

Field of Dreams- Of course I have to put this on here, but it could very well include Bull Durham or For Love of the Game or yes, even Tin Cup. Kevin Coster at his best. "Is this heaven?" - "No, it's Iowa".

I know I've left so many out, but this is the shortlist. Feel free to add more and definitely definitely watch these!

2 comments:

  1. Robin Hood Men in Tights. So terrible, it's amazing. "Where's the Key??"

    what else have we quoted at work? I think the Princess Bride tops them for that list...(of favorite work movies) Mawidge, oh mawidge....

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! oh yes, robin hood. still, not quite as classic as "mawidge is wut bwings us togevvah todayyyy. but wuv, twu wuv, that bwessed awwangmeeent"

    ReplyDelete