Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What do you mean, read?

An interesting topic was brought up today in Fiction Class. We were talking about the structure of novels and if the traditional novel was on its way out in favor of books that favor experimental structures. Somehow, that got us talking about the reading habits of people (particularly young people) today. Is reading on its way out? Do people have the attention span anymore to read, say, Jane Austen, or is the novel dying? Why are novels like Harry Potter and Twilight so popular and why are they not being effectively used as a gateway to reading? I want to know what people think, so comment below!

In other news, I bought a different brand of garlic butter yesterday and I'm here to report that all garlic butters are not equal. This also applies to raincoats. While the majority of my torso stayed dry today, my raincoat was ill prepared to deal with the monsoon I faced walking to class today. My rainboots didn't let me down, and though my pants were drenched, literally dripping, my feet were dry. So this is good news. And class was pretty engaging today. Well worth getting soaked to talk about books and sip my almond latte.

Tonight's agenda includes eating, lots of tea, attempting to trim my hair (yes, this could get interesting) reading some criticism of the poet Nuala ni Dhomnaill (I think I spelled that right), and writing. Ah.

2 comments:

  1. I think that most - not all - teachers and/or school administrations are so stuck on the canon and "traditional" literature that they are afraid to take advantage of modern popular YA fiction (Harry Potter, Twilight, etc), which is a shame. I hope the traditional novel format is not on its way out, and I don't think it will happen in our lifetimes *fingers crossed.* I am not a fan of experimental structure. Brian has House of Leaves and so far all it's received from me is dubious glances. Stay dry & check the mail ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my traditional classroom teaching experiences, I used to poll the students to find out who read books. Only a small monority of undergraduate students did so. I have long questioned why they miss this great experience and I think that it is because they have been force fed visually and are unable to use the imagination that it takes to make the characters in a book come alive.

    ReplyDelete