Friday, April 29, 2011

Allison Abroad: Windsor Style

At 3 a.m. this morning, I went to bed after baking scones and bread. I got up at 9 a.m. to prepare last minute details and wait for the arrival of my guests to my Royal Wedding Brunch. Wills and Kate are married, the dress was gorgeous, it was all lovely and beautiful BUT here are my thoughts, because you know I have them. Sometimes.

1) The real reason I watched the wedding= Chelsy Davy. Harry's on/off again girlfriend. Supposedly, she had two dresses designed just for her. As of this post, I've only seen her in the first and gah! Was not flattering. In fact, dare I say that I pull of royal better than Ms. Davy? Harry take note. Now, don't get me wrong, I think Chelsy would be great craic (as they say over here), but if this next outfit turns out awful, I'm declaring her unfit and moving in earlier than expected (rather than waiting for them to self-destruct again).

2) Grace Van Cutsem. She's a bridesmaid at three years old and was not amused by the crowd. Her covering her ears with Kate and Wills kissing in the background is a priceless photo.

3) Does anyone else think Kate's brother is a bit of a punk? How can someone look so smug. Dude, you make your money selling cake kits. You are no Harry that's for sure.

4) Zara Phillips looked great! She and Mike (Tindall) looked so happy!

5) Beatrice and Eugenie. Oh dear. Beatrice looks great these days and is definitely dressing better but what is with these sisters and their horrible taste in hats? Look, I know they were Philip Treacy, but honestly? Plenty of other women had hats designed by him and they were perfectly stunning. How do you pick out something like that and say, 'I can't live without that'? Keep trying (and Eugenie, you're adorable but can you 1) wear clothes that flatter and 2) smile? It goes a long way).

6) The Queen. As the guests all sang 'God Save the Queen', I wonder if she thought, 'Thank you' or 'That's right, suckers'

7) As you know, I've not always been a Kate fan but I have to say she worked hard at winning me over by asking William if he was okay in the carriage and the 'oh wow' comment as she walked out onto the Buckingham Palace balcony.

8) Speaking of lip reading, how lovely was William when Kate and her father got to the altar? But the best William moment was on the balcony before the second kiss. As he leaned in, he asked, 'One more?' That went a long way to redeem the first kiss that shouldn't even count as a kiss because it lasted all of two seconds.

9)Who thought it would be a good idea for Ann Curry to wear a hot pink sheath with hot pink wellies? Did she think anyone would take her seriously? Love how all the English presenters kept asking what Americans think about royal family members and when they asked about Camilla, Ann started talking about Diana. No one picked up on that AT ALL.

10) Let's face it. Kate might be a commoner but she is one ridiculously wealthy one. This whole rags to riches story isn't exactly true. She is not really one of 'us', but that's okay. She looks like a Disney princess.

11) Fun game of the day: Take your grandmother's name and pair it with your pet's name and then the name of your town. Voila, your royal name!

Honestly, the whole argument over whether people should care about this wedding or not is, to me, not an issue. It's entertainment and it's lavish and it's fascinating. To me. But other people think that about reality t.v., so to each their own. Just enjoy it. And if you can't, don't watch. And that's all I have to say about that.

Now, I'm off to plot my wedding to Prince Harry (Obamas definitely invited, as well as Jeff Bridges) or my 2024 Presidential campaign. Whichever comes first...

1 comment:

  1. You forgot Camilla and her attempt to get rid of her own grandchild ... lol

    ReplyDelete