Monday, September 20, 2010

Mondays are for Winners

I have to confess something. The first day I walked to school, I passed by a Monument shop. Yes, gravestones. There is a little work yard with a fence that opens to the street. That first day I passed by and looked over where a man was working on polishing (I think?) a gravestone. He looked up and I thought "Hello, Ireland". Seriously, he looked almost exactly like the guy from "Leap Year" except the chances of him actually being Irish are significantly higher than Hollywood casting an Irish actor for an Irish part. But that's not the point. Everyday, before I found my awesome shortcut through the field to campus, I'd pass by, hoping to see him. All I found were old men. I figured, he's gone back to school or something or another. Maybe he didn't exist. BUT, I'm here today to tell you, he does. What does this mean? Absolutely nothing, but it does mean that walks in to town will now hold that special element of anticipation held dear by most middle schoolers of the world.

That was on my way home this afternoon. I had been to the cafe with some friends (yay! friends!) from class. This particular cafe had originally been the home of the owner's grandmother. It's located on Shop Street, where there are no houses (at least not anymore), so the shy brother told us they'd refitted it for a shop, but they still live upstairs. He then left when the other brother, the owner came back. I like the shy brother the best. Still, it's a really nice little place and I think I might just go back. While sitting there chatting we witnessed the following: a girl hopping backwards and almost falling, and a boy who just up and kicked a pigeon right outside the window where we sat! I gave him my best "Who do you think you are, you stupid brat" look, but it was wasted on his friends. I can only hope they adequately relayed the message.

Poetry class was really amazing again today. The theme this week was childhood, next week is love. We have some absolutely wonderful writers in this class (I'm sure we do in our other classes, but we definitely workshop a lot more in this class so far). Individual meetings with our professor are this week as well as a gathering at her house. We're going to drink wine and talk about poetry. Seriously, I don't know how I got this life, but I love it. Tonight, I may meet up with some of the people in my class to write at a pub in town. For now, I'm going to go ahead and write on my own and see where it gets me. You know, just in case.




3 comments:

  1. What an exciting day! I'm really glad you gave that boy "the look".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious what you wrote about Childhood....I think that is an interesting topic. :) :)

    Many stories to tell.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liv- I had probably ten different ideas for that one! one was about you and me and maw maw, but I didn't submit that one yet (wanna work on it a bit more), I brought in one about picking tomatoes, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete