Wednesday, September 8, 2010

There's no crying in Fiction

I think our fiction professor's exact words were "We're not crybabies here". I sincerely hope not. I'm really excited about fiction! Mike McCormack is our professor and he seems just incredibly passionate about good work and improvement and reading good books. Right up my alley. The class is starting to get more talkative too, which is nice. One woman, named Maire (Myra is how she pronounces it) has been writing in the Irish language for years and is clearly well respected. She's really nice and I think she'll be really interesting to read and to speak with. So I left Fiction elated yesterday and just strolled along the street, not really knowing where I was, but figuring Galway is small enough that it would sort itself out. I found myself near what I thought was a church (and it might be), but then saw a giant sign for a secondary school. The road curved around the Church and seemed to just rest there before stopping and turning abruptly into a long road. So I turned down this road (Preservation Road, I think) and found it to be the prettiest little street I've seen so far. The sun was out and hit the pastel colors of the buildings and it was just amazing. I'll go back there with my camera and try to capture it.

Last night, I got home and spent some time chatting with the boys. I think I might be a little overzealous when I say they're just adorable. They're both 20 (Noel's birthday is today, so he's actually 21) and students at NUIG. Noel is a first year and Ryan's finishing up. Ryan is really into soccer, and it's almost like having two brothers around. Noel plays guitar upstairs while Ryan watches soccer matches on the t.v. and shouts at the players. Last night, we watched a little bit of Jerry Maguire. Today I'm going to attempt to make a birthday cake. We'll see how that goes.

Today is 20th Century Irish Women's Writing. I'm so excited! Ideally, I'd like to end up taking Poetry, Fiction, and Playwriting, because I can only choose three. But Women's Writing just sounds like a great course, so I'm going to check it out today, and who knows? So I'm off to finish my tea and head over to campus!

2 comments:

  1. Just saw there were no posts here and thought I would comment. Your blog is great - I love reading it. I could never come up with the witty things that you write about. You have the gift of gab as some of your Trenor ancestors would say + that awesome gene!

    Love and miss you -

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Donna. I love your blog! You have a wonderful gift!

    I love and miss you too....

    ReplyDelete