Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pink Socks and Patrick Swayze

It was bound to happen. I've been doing laundry for ages and to my knowledge I've never turned anything pink. Until now. This morning (and it was morning for once), I woke up and decided I needed to do laundry. So in went everything, including a scarf that I can't recall washing before. I spilled some chai on it last week and didn't think much about it as I shoved the multicolored strip of cloth into the washer. An hour later, I pulled out a pink t-shirt with white flowers on it. Except that this t-shirt wasn't pink when I woke up this morning. It looks surprisingly natural. The white socks also in the washer, not so much. So starts my Wednesday.

It was pouring rain this morning, but I think it's cleared up for now. I'm not sure if I should go to campus early or just pray it doesn't rain on my walk over. I've been trying to be responsible this morning. Except the Immigration Office isn't open to the public this week. Fail. 7:30 on Monday it will have to be, and probably Tuesday too. I could blame Bank of America for holding me up, but I won't say that outright, that seems too obvious. Today is Irish Women's Writing and we read "The Last September" for this week. I have to say, I like "The Real Charlotte" better. I was so convinced I would love this book too, and while I don't hate it, it's not my favorite. The class should be fun though. Then it's off to buy wine or treats to bring to our Poetry Gathering this evening. The boys made fun of me and poetry in general when they discovered this bit of information. This was after Kasha locked Ryan in his room and we danced to "Time of My Life" waving scarves around. Noel was scarred, but only after we showed him the beginning of "Cool as Ice" starring the one and only Vanilla Ice. I am so good at procrastinating. Hence, my responsible morning today.

Yesterday was Fiction class and I wanted to share a couple great lines from our instructor Mike McCormack.
"You Americans must be careful and be sure to eat well. The damp months, February and January have you all sniffling and sneezing." - Great.
"I have a loathing of boiled eggs. Food in hell." - this ones for you, SJB.
"This is where my skill fails me. I have to put a cloak on her and I can't." - In an effort to explain how stories sometimes rise from images, he grabbed some chalk and began drawing stick figures. This is where he stopped. All in all, it was a successful class.

So today begins another round of praying I don't forget anything and make it through another class and social setting. At the moment my stomach is calling, so I'm going to go feed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment