Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Gentleman and A Scholar? To Be Determined

As a special request, I'm writing this blog about my roommate, Ryan. You see, Ryan is paranoid that I spend my entire blog writing about him. In fact, he may even think I write all of my stories about him. So, I'm dedicating this entire blog to dear Ryan Kelly, just so that he can say he's right (he loves being right).

When I first arrived in Ireland, I obviously had no idea what to expect and hoped I would luck out and have great roommates. Clearly, this has been the case(yay Kasha and Noel!), but a special word about Ryan. We call him "The Professor" he's such a serious seeming boy, studying Classics and English. Some mornings, you can find him with his cup of coffee or tea, listening to the news and reading the paper. I mean, what else can you call a twenty year old who reads Plato and Wordsworth and enjoys it AND is up on current events? According to our dear Noel, Ryan doesn't particularly like this, but it's fitting and I think it has a ring to it. Ryan, you'll thank me later in life. In some ways, he reminds me of (brother) Phil because he can be quiet and serious and then joke around, when he wants to, that is.

Our dear Ryan loves his football(soccer) and in fact, has a cousin who's currently playing for the Ireland 19 and Under team. You can hear him sighing in agony over an awful play or letting out yelps of delight when something good happens. You can also find him in the back garden kicking around the soccer ball he stole from the street on any given evening. It's all rather endearing. Just like Phil, you probably should give him space when his team loses. I'm telling you, dear readers, it's like having a little brother around, he even shares his popcorn and makes me tea sometimes. Though he doesn't giggle or call me when he has a joke to share. I do miss that.

Though he may be paranoid, chivalry is not dead in Ireland. It's true, I've called him a mean spirit (and he is when he decides to cease conversation prematurely or scare unsuspecting people in another room, cough cough), but both he and Noel agree that the man should walk closest to the oncoming cars, so they would get hit first instead of the girl. And let's not overlook the fact that they did buy me a Hannah Montana birthday cake, despite the fact that I'm 25 and no one over the age of twelve should ever request a cake like that. So this is just a little appreciation for Professor Ryan Kelly for all of his paranoid, sometimes gruff and well meaning ways. Rest assured, living with these boys (we can't forget Noel, these two are a bromance for the ages), I won't get run over by a car or ever have to go without tea, and I might learn something about football (soccer) while I'm here. They even do the dishes! So is it far to say Ryan Kelly deserves this dedicated blog post? Perhaps so or perhaps not, but it'll make him blush anyhow and to me, that's a job well done :).

2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious. So proud of Ryan and Phil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might refer to your bro as Brother Phil from now on. It helps with the confusion, and just sounds serious.

    ReplyDelete