Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A is for Academics

It's definitely a hot chocolate kind of day. A hot beverage of any kind really. Also, I suppose it's technically night here as well. I slept pretty late today and then headed off to class to discuss incestuous rape, contraception and abortion. You know, just a light hearted topic for today's class discussion. We were reading "Down by the River" by Edna O'Brien. It's a really hard book to read and also a hard book to put down. The book is loosely based on the 1992 X Case in Ireland. Really interesting stuff. Edna O'Brien herself is interesting, I'm going to have to read more of her.

In other news, our poetry assignment this week is to write a poem about an animal without giving it human characteristics. Yikes. For fiction we have to take an experimental structure and write a story within that structure. For example, we could use a calendar or letters. I'm going to write a fake biography, complete with fake interviews. At least, I hope. Tomorrow, I have my second meeting with Eva about my poetry. So cross your fingers that it goes well.

This weekend, there's a Fiction Slam at the Spanish Arches. I'm definitely going but I'm not sure if I'm going to read anything. I've never done one before! Either way it should be fun. At the end of the month, Herbie Hancock is going to be at the Cork Jazz Festival, so I just MIGHT check that out. We'll see. For now, I'm off to make that hot chocolate and write!

No comments:

Post a Comment