Friday, October 22, 2010

Mission Statement/Mission Impossible?

It's cold and wet. Again. I feel as though I'm truly preparing myself for a life in the Pacific Northwest, should I ever want to go back. Also, it's Friday and I've decided that since I have a 3 day weekend, I should probably stop slacking and actually write a legitimate blog post. This is also a good reason to procrastinate a little more.

On the agenda this weekend (schoolwise): a completed response to the Writer's Workshop yesterday on Reviewing which means I'll be attempting to write a comedic short story about an author meeting a reviewer who hates the author's work. Typical plot, I know, but I want to try something funny. THEN, I'll attempt once again to write a poem from another poem, this one on happiness or celebration. It doesn't sound hard, but when you try to write it from another poem, holy cow. Not so fun anymore. After this I will write a review on a book I haven't written and discuss my strengths and weaknesses and then continue to write a piece stemming from an art exhibit that scared the bejesus out of me yesterday. To explain: the effect of multiple projectors in a darkened room playing silent film and photographs is creepy. When you put two t.v.'s at each end of the exhibit and the sound suddenly turns on without warning, that's terrifying. Especially when you're the only person there at 3 in the afternoon and it's drizzling (surprise) outside.

So, those are the more pressing assignments. Somewhere in there, I'll be in the library reading the hardest book of poetry to find ever and also reading criticism for said poems. The girl doing the presentation on this author (Eavan Boland) emailed us some suggested reading and said she was going to focus on the "victimization of women". I love feminist topics. Honestly, I do. Still, I'm going to make myself happy with an almond latte and maybe a scone. Interesting doesn't have to equal depressing, but we're definitely into depressing territory now.

That being said, I full intend to enjoy my weekend, rain or not. Unlike last weekend which was consumed by feeling awful (side note: there's a commercial for a cough syrup that shows the ugliest/cutest mucus thing that continues to attack people, almost like a puppy, it's hilarious), this weekend is going to be productive. I plan to do some shopping, a little exploring and a LOT of writing. Combine that with Geribody (aka Spice Girl) yoga and you've got yourself Allison in Ireland. Next weekend is Halloween and it looks like most of the friends I've made will be out of town, but never fear! Despite the fact that I have yet to come up with a costume, my early friends, the international kids, will be around, so I'm sure fun will be had. I'm also planning on venturing up to Kylemore Abbey and the Connemara area next weekend to look at gardens and cottages and castles turned to religious purposes. Until then, I'll be baking and eating and studying. Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent, good update. That sounds like a lot to do. Enjoy it. An almond latte sounds warm and cozy. I may have to have something similar on this, my day off. It may also include: cleaning up the garden (only a little bit likely), visiting the library, walking in the autumn air, knitting, organizing my office, and reconnecting with old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man! that sounds so lovely! i hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete